
Last semester, a threat to go to the ABA, CU donors or the Chancellor was required before anything changed with the library regulations. Although the problem is admittedly less dramatic this time around, it is beyond me why the library director, BB, simply ignores student requests to restrict access for the week before exams.
Recently, in writing a seminar paper, I reviewed a speech by Bill Kovacic, the former chairman of the FTC, while he was here at a Silicon Flatirons gig a few months ago. In his speech, Kovacic noted that Washington politics moves a glacial pace because so much effort is expended in petty "turf wars." I'm often reminded of this in hearing about interactions with BB.
14 comments:
Do we really need to go through this again?
For the love of god no.
The best thing to do (speaking as a 3L) is to leave a good record of the negotiations and agreements that we reached for the underclasses, so they don't have to start over.
I encourage you to speak up when you encounter underclassmen on cell phones.
You'd think the admin would at least adhere to the agreements they made concerning signage and access to the 2nd floor/basement only for law students. Too bad the library admin just wants to hope that we forget about it and shut-up.
Guess the law student community is meant to be subservient to the demands of the overall university. Overall, pathetic leadership from library head. (you'd think that they'd want a better study environment if they are so obsessed with moving up the USNWR rankings).
Here's a thought: higher ranking = more money from donors = more library funding = higher library salary justification.
I saw a whole buch of food in trash cans in the library today, and people drinking from cans and other containers.
The rules just need to be enforced. Who cares if it's undergraduates or law students who are breaking them? We need to hire a couple of toughs to go around and make sure the rules are followed. Like when Tony Soprano gave that one guy trouble for wearing a hat in a restaurant back in season one.
Anyway, I never understood the animus against undergrads. It's their university too. But then I've never been a big library studier.
Pretty stealthy referring to "BB." But how about "Code name Bintliff?"
The parking lot is absolutely packed tonight. There must be at least a dozen cars parked illegally. There are signs, though, indicating that access will be restricted from Friday, April 27 onwards.
That's what the security guard was supposed to be for... enforcement of the rules (eating, etc.) Is he on patrol in the library? I haven't been studying there enough to know.
In reference to the parking lot issue: I've been mounting a 'urinate on tires' campaign and suggest you join.
The security guard is too busy watching TV on the projectors in the classrooms, much like the undergrads. And no, I'm not joking.
As for BB, one wonders whether BB is pissed about getting strong-armed into implementing sensible policies. Or maybe she's still pissed that the square footage devoted to the library got cut from what she originally asked for in the building planning. Whatever she's pissed about, tho, she's clearly quite feisty about marking her territory.
As for the rif-raff, there is nothing stopping you from calling campus police and getting the offenders tossed. Hell, make an example of them.
Yup, the parking lot is packed. It took me 10 minutes to find a spot.
I know the university bureacracy is one of the worst among the bureacracies, but I never imagined that library administration would not adhere to the agreement made with the students last semester. What was in the agreement? Were the hours specified? They should be restricting the access by now.
The library is being trashed and swamped with undergrads.
Also to answer the security guard(s) question, the answer is 'no.' He doesn't patrol the library.
Boy Graduation can't come soon enough. Good luck 1L's and 2L's.
Also, there is a certain blond, fuzzy haired 1L who sits in the basement by the rare books everyday and walks around talking every 15 minutes. You are annoying. Please stop talking. It does not help me, you, or anyone else trying to study.
The classic is all the library employees are attorneys and in Ethics class we learned that you can have your bar admission held up for traffic tickets (i.e. you must follow all rules, no matter how silly, like not turning into the far lane, which a CU cop stopped me for the other night). A lawyer's whole damn raison d'etre (as they say in Raising Arizona) is to enforce the rules.
Whatever the lawyers' raison d'etre is, I wonder what is the raison d'etre of the administrators, who refuse to follow the agreement or come up with a workable policy?
Cell phones are not the only problems, but also we have problems with undergrads who do not have "quiet" voice so that everyone on the floor can hear their private conversation.
Now, it is up to the students and SBA to do something about it.
To give credit where credit is due, I just saw BB stop a 1L trying to bring soup into the library. Of course she let her come in with it anyway, but it's a start.
I have to be honest -- I haven't studied in the library since we moved buildings. I go for specific things then leave. I love the new building in general, but I really miss the closeness of the old building.
Post a Comment