Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Friday Classes
DM has solicited feedback from some student leaders on the matter of classes on Friday. Similar to HS' earlier post, I think it is a welcome departure from the past. The Administration is now consulting with students on issues that impact them. I have no idea how much this blog has contributed to the change, but it sure is nice to see some semblance of concern for what we think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but remember that there's a big difference between soliciting student opinion, and actually taking student opinion into account in decision making.
Hey, at least obtaining student opinion as to classes on Friday will tell the administration it will be a failure. The only way it could succeed is by forcing major classes, such as income tax, evidence, so forth, onto Fridays, and what professor would really want to do that?
That's exactly the plan -- schedule mandatory courses for Fridays -- and untenured professors will certainly comply because they want to impress.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't really care if they institute Friday classes -- IF they give us another day off sometime mid-week. It's not the three-day weekend that I'm after - it's the opportunity to pursue a job or externship that will give me the practical education that CU doesn't provide enough of.
Problem with the mid-week work day: You work all day in Denver at a firm and then you have to commute home, take care of kids, etc. THEN sit down and do work for your 9 am class the next day...
Not a good way to make a law students life more sane...
Yes, well, welcome to my reality.
Well, the plan with Friday classes seems to be NOT to give us another day off, but rather to have classes on EVERY day of the week. As far as getting days off for an externship or work, they will leave it up to students to choose classes that allow them to have a day off. That means-- LESS choice of classes if you want a day off.
As far as getting the student opinion, I heard there is a list of pros and cons circulating. Maybe they ought to distribute that to the student body.
Post a Comment