Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Anonymous Comment


Some time ago, Bolder and I agreed to turn on the anonymous comments feature. The experience has led me to the following conclusions:
  1. We're getting a lot more contributions;
  2. The lack of distinct identities makes it difficult and annoying to parse/respond to anonymous comments; and
  3. The level of civility shows signs of heading into XOXO territory.
Thoughts?

15 comments:

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I like the increased participation. In related news, the New Yorker had an article about an anonymous forum taking over Harvard and other prestigious schools. Most of the comments are about sex, which, obviously, has pissed off the administrators.

http://www.boredatlamont.com/

Anonymous said...

Your concern that rudeness will overwhelm the blog is legit but not yet ripe. If civility enters a tailspin, I recommend legalized dueling as a long-term, broad-scope remedy to the widespread decline of manners in our culture.
-JQET

Scott Turner said...

He is just upset because someone called him a nerd.

Re: JQET

I personally prefer the "Roshambo" method. To see the definition, click here => http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roshambo

Coffinberry said...

Ironically, XOXO is what led me here in the first place . . .

Coffinberry said...

And hey! What's wrong with being a nerd?

Anonymous said...

I agree that the anonymous comment feature has led to a general decline in civility. Maybe the increased partipation is worth it. I don't know.

I might be concerned if the level of civility deteriorated to the point where other people no longer want to participate. Then you're left with just the xoxo types, and the nice people will no longer contribute or leave comments.

Scott Turner said...

I have heard (and probably made) complaints that this blog takes itself too seriously. The blog-o-sphere requires thick skin. Personally, I really don't care whether or not you need an ID. You can be like "bolder law" or "anonymous comments" and protect your profile so no one has any idea who you are unless there is disclosure or an "outing". This allows for crude, civil comments, but it just takes the effort to sign up. More participation is better than less... Also, this is a very, very, very tame blog. No one has resorted to name calling, and people using f**king stars to prevent the use of sh***y language.

notjustlaw said...

The civility isn't really an issue in my mind. I just prefer the ability to track what others say, so we can be tell when someone is being sarcastic for the sake of being sarcastic (Like JQET or Unfrozen).

That issue is best seen in the Comments to the Brown Bag on Grades where anonymous posters were accusing other anonymous posters of being a professor, but no one was sure who was who!

Maybe we take some of these issues seriously, maybe too seriously. But when we suddenly get professors and administrators wanting to post, it makes you think a little more about what you post. Maybe it will make a real difference... Probably not, so let's talk about the new season of South Park starting tomorrow!

notjustlaw said...

Oh and HS, it was a definitely a nerd alert post!!

Anonymous said...

As an anonymous poster, I’d like to speak up for anonymous posting. It’s been great to get the occasional comment from professors, practitioners, alumni, and DU students, and these people may be discouraged if they have to create additional email addresses before emerging from their lurking to post a comment. There is definitely a greater incentive to fire off a less-than-considered email when you can comment anonymously, but this can be good. Raw feelings are true, and make for good reading, as long as personal attacks are generally avoided. I particularly liked the comment from a professor about how students need everything in a syllabus. Priceless.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Speaking of South Park, check out Rolling Stone's top 25 SP moments of all time. Hilarious!

cublawg said...

In other news, check out the brilliant "Ballad of Western Disposal" comment to the Brown Bag Post below. Whoever wrote that needs to join the bLAWg.

cublawg said...

...and in related news, the Washington Post saw fit to give XOXO some press today, and on the very subject we're discussing here.

Scott Turner said...

JQET: Well, there is something I have never heard of before called the roshambox. But it sounds as if someone just made it up yesterday.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roshambox

Dueling it is, but only Homer Simpson style, with all duels initiated with a glove slap.

notjustlaw said...

The Ballad of Western Disposal needs to be reprinted in its own posting. Sums up the whole issue with grades and the administrations response.