Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Grades?

Does anyone have grades yet? I haven't seen a single one. I know they're not due quite yet, but it seems as if we had them a lot earlier last year.

21 comments:

notjustlaw said...

We will be lucky to have them trickle in, considering the school was shut for several days last week.

Coffinberry said...

I can wait... I can wait a nice lo-o-ong time before finding out these grades.

cublawg said...

I'm enjoying vacation too much to worry about such pedestrian matters. :-)

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I know. It's just that I know I'm getting a bad one and I want to take the punch rather than wait for it.

Coffinberry said...

Vacation? Ha! There's been a bucket of reading for Intersession Trial Ad, and then a whole lotta writing to do for other things. What vacation??? (mumble mumble 3L mumble)

Coffinberry said...

I've got one, now. (Huntington.) I wasn't intending to look, but logged into CU Connect to check on whether the school would be closed today, and there it was.

notjustlaw said...

Some more have been posted.

notjustlaw said...

I'm personally starting to get very tired of the wait. I know of at leat one class that was ready to post several weeks ago, and it is still not up. I also had two finals that were entirely Scantron. How long does it take to finsih these grades? Cindy is fast at posting, but the process is tiring.

cublawg said...

The fact that some of the pass/fail stuff isn't up yet also strikes me as bizarre.

I know for a fact, however, that a certain dean put the squeeze on professors that didn't hit the median. Apparently the unwritten "88 median in classes with 18 students" rule has been vigorously enforced this year.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

That's a rule? What are the rules related to class size?

cublawg said...

Dunno. Hence the "unwritten" part.

notjustlaw said...

That has always felt rather shady to me. Either put it in writing or it is not a rule!

Where are the scantron tests??? Run them through a machine, run the results through a statistical program and be done with it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think "un-sectioned" only means small classes. I think it just means any class that is not taught in multiple sections each year. For example, evidence and ethics are sectioned. So is corporations, and probably a few others, like wills & trusts and admin. So unless there really are secret, unwritten rules, I don't think there is any mandatory median for most upper level classes.

Of course, 3Ls may remember that debacle over "jury duty" from our first year, in which we learned that there could be additional graduation requirements that were not in the publicly available rules of the law school, but were in a footnote in a copy of the rules located in the dean's office. So the existence of secret, unwritten grading rules seems entirely plausible.

notjustlaw said...

Sooo...are we going to start class next week without any grades? I have one, but that is it. Could be a little awkward for the 1L's being in class wondering why this property professor can't release the grades.

cadoner said...

Instead of grades, why don't we just have impressions? And if my impression of something is different than yours, so what? Can't we all just be brothers?

Scott Turner said...

Is anyone really surprised by the lack of grades? Several graduates have told me that mid-February has been typical in the past. Surprisingly, I have gotten all of mine except for two tests that involved multiple choice. The scantron machine must be buried in a snowbank somewhere. Enjoy your last several days of vacation.

notjustlaw said...

It hasn't been Mid-February in the past. Usually by Class start for the spring, all the grades are in.

vive_la_reve2 said...

The excuse for one day of school being closed is not acceptable for the delay in grades. I feel that we are held to a high standard, and likewise so should our professors. It has now been 2 weeks since the new year. I want my grades and have none, including no P/F. Perhaps the SBA should draft some resolutions requiring grade postings by the beginning of the next semester.

vive_la_reve2 said...

This is unacceptable.

notjustlaw said...

Well said, Reve2. Why haven't we recieved at least an update email from either the SBA officers or someone from the administration. This is not something Cindy should be apologizing for, it is the administration or the faculty that needs to inform us about the reasons for the delay. This is also a perfect opportunity for the SBA to advocate for the students.

Anonymous said...

From an e-mail sent last week:

"Due to fairly crippling storms over the last three weeks and the holidays, the grades due deadline has been extended to January 16th (originally set for January 10th)."