"One final example, consider in Figure 8 below the circled exam that is is very far away from the others at the bottom of the staircase. Is this an A+?
Novices would think so, as the exam has separated itself a considerable distance from the rest of the pack. However, the correct grade for this exam is a B. The exam has traveled too far away from the pack, and will lead to extra effort on the part of the grader to retrieve the exam. Therefore, the exam must be penalized for this obvious flaw."
This is how I thought it always works, but I have heard a theory that it is quite the opposite. Those at the bottom of the stairs are As, because clearly they weigh more and thus the student had more knowledge to impart on the exam... I would consult an expert - anyone want to ask the Wags?
You forget.... Wags has flying fighters from the battle of trafalgar shooting laser jets of red ink to create underlines and mysterious comments (Good!) or (You forgot xxx, -30 points) as the papers fly down the stairs. His is a truly mysterious method indeed.
9 comments:
Wow. That is some outlier there... (can't imagine what the numerical equivalent of that one is... a 35? Can they give a 35?)
"One final example, consider in Figure 8 below the circled exam that is is very far away from the others at the bottom of the staircase. Is this an A+?
Novices would think so, as the exam has separated itself a considerable distance from the rest of the pack. However, the correct grade for this exam is a B. The exam has traveled too far away from the pack, and will lead to extra effort on the part of the grader to retrieve the exam. Therefore, the exam must be penalized for this obvious flaw."
Beautiful
This is how I thought it always works, but I have heard a theory that it is quite the opposite. Those at the bottom of the stairs are As, because clearly they weigh more and thus the student had more knowledge to impart on the exam... I would consult an expert - anyone want to ask the Wags?
You forget.... Wags has flying fighters from the battle of trafalgar shooting laser jets of red ink to create underlines and mysterious comments (Good!) or (You forgot xxx, -30 points) as the papers fly down the stairs. His is a truly mysterious method indeed.
waggs can give me any grade he wants. i'm just happy to be in the presence of his glory.
Notice Colorado's own paul ohm is the seconded poster on the site.
"seconded" isn't really word, but I am sure I used it on an exam this week.
I did notice Ohm's comment. I also noticed that Waggs may be moonlighting.
HS, what benign but behaviorally suspicious part of your brain finds this stuff?
And isn't that Dean Getches in the vest?
Post a Comment