Thursday, November 16, 2006

3L Job Hunt


As a first- and second-year, I always thought it was pretty interesting to read about Buffs, Moop and others’ employment search. Buffs, in particular, had some helpful insights into strategies for what to consider in evaluating what career path to pursue. Coincidently enough, I had an interview today at Bufs’ firm and stopped by to say hello.

As evidenced by my interview, I do not have a job yet. It sucks. I enjoyed the firm I worked at over the summer, but its not growing. In other words, there’s not enough work to justify hiring me; at least, not in litigation. They’ve asked me to consider doing a niche area of transactional law, but I’m hesitant to sign up for a couple years of doing work that I’m not particularly interested in. I love the people, which is absolutely key, but doubt it’d be a net benefit for me. We’ll see how that all plays out. The market is pretty good, but its mostly corporate and real estate positions.

One thing I think law students have a hard time conceptualizing is how much relationships matter in the legal community. If you’re nice, people help you out. If you’re a jerk, you will have a hard time getting very far. As a case in point, I know several 2Ls that didn’t get an offer b/c someone told their firm that the person had a terrible reputation at school. It happens all the time. People don’t want to work with assholes. Sure, a person may have stellar grades, but they’ll piss off clients. Firms make money from clients. If your clients hate you, you won’t make money for the firm. You get my point.

I still remember a certain 2L who threw a punch at one of my classmates in an intramural soccer game. Not cool. We all remember who it was. Similarly, a 1L threw a ball at a 2L in the annual softball tourney a couple months back: probably not a wise decision.

Fortunately, I’ve managed to not throw softballs or punches at a few of my classmates. In turn, some of those who worked at a firm and received an offer, have passed along my resume to their recruiting coordinator. While it hasn’t led to anything yet, I’m optimistic.

The point of this all is: 1) if you didn’t land a big firm gig through OCI, or you don’t pull the best grades your first year, there’s still opportunities your third year; and, 2) don’t throw things at people.

7 comments:

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Good luck with that firm, Bolder. I really wanted a job there. Seems like a good place to work.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Also, I know people who had over a dozen interviews through OCI (even 20 or so) and didn't get a job. I (fortunately, I know I'm lucky) did get one and I had far, far fewer screening interviews. So it's quality not quantity. That said, I say apply to every firm you can stand writing a cover letter for. In retrospect I wish I had applied to more firms, but I ended up doing all of my OCI stuff on the day of the deadline. Don't do that, young 1Ls!

notjustlaw said...

Nice post Bolder. I'm in the same boat. I'm working for a firm right now, where they are saying the right things and giving me challenging work (like an extended interview/tryout) but there IS NO GUARANTEE of future employment. They are in the field I want to be in, and the kind of office I want to work, but there are no guarantees. I'm stuck wondering just how do I play it, how do I approach everything I do with them, and finally what do I do to get myself out into the field! 1L Grades...they really do matter. Aww, good ol' property! No pressure for finals though, none.

And I concur on the being an asshole. It will do nothing but hurt you.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, I remember when I sent a resume to Buff's firm for OCI 3rd year and I dropped Buff's name on my cover letter (with his permission). They actually went to him and asked if he knew me, then invited me to interview. It works, folks!
Being a person that fellow employees and clients will want to work with is huge. And sometimes firms won't hire people because they suck. Other times, firms won't care.
I'm not sure what's wrong with throwing a ball during a softball game, though. But I don't know a lot about sports.

Coffinberry said...

Yeah BBB! I heard yesterday that you had gotten a job! Woo-hoo!

Me... zip, zero, nada. It doesn't help to not be courting the Denver firms. When one doesn't want to do "biglaw" there just isn't much help out there.

So I shall spend the day writing cover letters for my own job search. (Then, I must spend the rest of the week off writing other things . . . o-u-t-l-i-n-e).

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Thanks, CB. Good luck with your job search. I'm confident you'll find a job.

vive_la_reve2 said...

I think networking is more important than grades. Surely, each firm has a 'threshold' grade point that they won't go beyond b/c there are a lot of paper-qualified applicants. Fact is that if you spend a quarter of the time networking as you do studying, then I think you should be able to find something you like and be in control of your path.

I've made some good contacts going to those Young Lawyer events put on by the local Bars.