Monday, October 23, 2006

Library Issues


There's an ongoing discussion of what to do about the obvious problems of the new building's security and "noise pollution." We had these same issues at Fleming, but they've become exponentially worse in the new building. Apparently, one dean went into the library over the weekend and was "appalled" at how dirty, busy and noisy it was.

One solution would be to close the building to the general public outside of normal business hours. Us law schoolers would be allowed to enter the building using a scan system with our Buff One cards. This would be expensive.

Another proposal would limit the library to only grad students. A sticking point in all of this is the fact that the whole student body paid for the building, and that we're a "public library." Thus, there's definitely a credible argument made in the favor of giving unlimted access. Advocates of giving everyone access reason that the library staff should be more vigilant about maintaining an atmosphere conducive to studying.

Something needs to happen. What should be done?

9 comments:

Buffs said...

Like many other law schools, the library needs separate law student/law faculty only reading rooms. I know several schools who dedicate wings (imagine bottom floor of old Rothgerber, without the books), to just law students.

I'm surprised the law school's faculty didn't know this ... wait, no I'm not.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

After walking around for 10 mins trying to find a spot to do some work at the library, it occurred to me that we could charge each undergrad a nominal fee for using the library. Besides the whole public library obstacle, I think this would ameliorate a lot of the problems.

First, if we charged $1 for each undergrad, we'd have funds to pay someone to collect the fee. Second, we'd weed out the clowns who come here b/c its the cool new social scene. Third, it wouldn't discriminate against those undergrads who truly want a quiet place to study.

Regardless of the above, I've decided to make this my own personal crusade. DG and BB: hear me roar!

Scott Turner said...

While I was talking on my cell phone and eating enchiladas in the 1st floor library study room while using the United States Code to clean up the three cans of pimp juice I accidentially spilled on the WestLaw printer, I had a thought. Why don't they make the second floor the law student floor? The first floor is really small and that douchey guy with the glasses and the 90210 hair is always there, and the computer lab is on the bottom floor. We would have the bonus study rooms and more seats, along with the carousels. Or we could just hire a sniper to man the door that leads to kittredge.

notjustlaw said...

Do we need to hire an old man with large glasses in an ill-fitting uniform to act as Library Guard and patrol the halls?

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I think Caveman's proposal is pragmatic and realistic. At my college there was a library where one floor was for "group study," i.e. sorat girls would gossip at tables and guys would come through after hitting the bars to see if they could pick up said sorat girls gossiping at the tables; and another floor that was "silent." It actually worked. If people talked on the quiet floor, then everyone would glare at them and they'd just walk up the stairs to the other floor.

cublawg said...

If you find yourself incensed by talkative library patrons, follow this procedure: 1) walk up and kindly inform them that the administration asked the law students to help enforce certain rules regarding library conduct, and 2) tell them that if you have to warn them again, the librarians will call campus police to remove them from the premises. Will you feel stupid playing library cop? Certainly, but no more so than venting frustrations on this blog and delegating your irritation to ineffectual bureaucrats who will spend a semester debating remedies before issuing an unenforced policy. We will solve our problem must more efficiently if we all ensure that the Wise library remains conducive to study.

Another thought: a set of meters set at key locations. Perhaps it's overkill, but it might work.

cublawg said...

Complaining about complaints, eh? ;-) If you'd like to up the quality of debate, drop me a line and I'll add you in.

cadoner said...

Are you all serious? If people are being loud, ask them to be quiet. And maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't care if people are eating in the library as long as they clean up their mess and it doesn't get in my way.

notjustlaw said...

HS, your sound meter idea is great! However, I noticed they are running at $1000 a pop when you include the data logging feature. I'm sure the Administration would spring for those!