Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wolf

What I like:

- The new dining center! Oh so many tables and comfy chairs.
- And that Fireplace! That is going to be wonderful in the winter chill.
- The Veranda and its view
- The cavernous hole looking down into the bowels of the library.
- Benches in the hallways, and sit-down-a-sec spots hidden all over the place.
- Outlets at every carrel in the library.
- The overhead skylights in the basement portion of the library.
- The Grand Central Staircase that climbs the mountain of wisdom and leads to all paths on the way.

What I don't like:

- That Grand Staircase's bumpy leading edges on the steps (it messes with the eyes, and having a vestibular disorder I do not enjoy having to go up and down it).
- The hand-unfriendly handrails on that staircase, and the absence of any handrail in the center. (Same problem. I thought this building was supposed to be ADA friendly, but that center staircase makes me scratch my head with wonder).
- The noise that carries up and down the staircase.
- All the doors to block off that noise, which means it is harder to pass by and just say "Hi."
- Only one door to lot 402, and that one way off in the corner relative to the lot.
- The long skinny tree planter in the middle of 402, which forces a (lazy, like me) person walking from car to building to walk through the mulch.

13 comments:

notjustlaw said...

As to the staircase, I'm just worried about the first wet day when that stone gets nice and slick...

Also, the A/C on the third floor needs a little tweaking. You go into the journal suite or in some of the classrooms, and the blowers are on full blast and the thermostats read 66 degrees... I thought we were supposed to save energy in this building!

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I was sweating bullets yesterday in my suit-- and some of it was nerves, sure, but not all of it. Certain floors/rooms are super hot. However, the 2nd floor by the library is very cool. Very nice.

JST said...

I have taken to calling the staircase the Grand Staircase of Doom, or GSoD for short. I think it encompasses everything you need to know about the staircase.

Coffinberry said...

Another thing very very wrong with the building, which I realized with profound clarity today:

Wolf is served by a single access road.

When that road is congested, you are out of luck. There is no other access (unless you count parking in the shopping center across the street). There has GOT to be another way to get to the law building.

(It took me 35 minutes to get to 402 from Broadway & Regent today. Grrrrr. It's a wonder the fire department didn't close down the whole Kittredge complex as a hazard.)

BlawBlawBlaw said...

It was the same with Fleming, wasn't it? Or am I missing something? As to the Kittredge situation, it's only been bad this week b/c of residence hall move-in.

Coffinberry said...

Yes, it was the same with Fleming. What has changed is having Leeds Business School in Fleming, so now two Grad Schools were having orientation simultaneous with Freshman move-in day. So, in addition to the LS Class of '09 being larger than usual, there are two grad-schools down in that corner, not just one. There needs to be more road (or more of us busing/biking).

Lindsay said...

As a recent grad let me just say that it all sounds so very tragic.
When I went to law school we had spiders landing on us in class- and we *liked* it! Up hill! Both ways!

notjustlaw said...

Moop, It is tough having a new building. The horror of outlets at every desk. Reliable wireless in every room. Actual windows thoughout the building filling it with natural light (it burns!). I'm already missing the spiders, the smells... And these soft adjustable chairs in every classroom MUST go!!

Scott Turner said...

There is a stain on the stair running for the length of about 1 story. Very classy. Access shouldn't be an issue. Also,yesterday was move-in day, Orientation day, and psycotic Jean-Bonet media coverage day. It took me 45 minutes to get to the CU bookstore from the law school in my car, but it will pass.

Coffinberry said...

Ok, so I'm whiny.

J-Po said...

If I were a torts prof, that staircare would find its way into my exam hypos every single year until they did something about it. Someone is going to get hurt on that thing; the only real questions are "when?" and "how badly?" Large groups of people will be walking in both directions on it at the same time, the stairs will get slippery during the winter, and most people will have to walk on it without having a handrail within their reach. Sooner or later something will happen. They really need to install a railing down the middle.

vive_la_reve2 said...

How about the Lilliputian tables and Titan chairs in the eating area? Come on!
And how about those tiny lockers? They look great, maybe I can even fit one of classbooks in there. And i'm really happy that I have to stoop down to my locker that's 3 feet tall. Form following function I guess. Or not.

cublawg said...

We have little room for complaint. Compared to Fleming, Wolf is a palatial estate, subject to criticism mostly because its inhabitants criticize for a living. I, for one, intend to revel in its glory, and to enjoy my remaining year in its friendly confines.

I also feel like we owe our predecessors here at CU Law a tremendous debt of gratitude since, without their efforts, we'd still be inhaling toxic mold on our way to classes in crappy old rooms with uncomfortable seating and a dearth of power outlets. From where I'm sitting, Wolf is a beautiful, non-materialistic lounge suite.