Friday, August 04, 2006

Electronic OCI

I've been so busy with other work that I procrastinated in getting my OCI materials into the system. I was a bit worried that the last minute efforts of the collective procrastinators would slam the system. However, except for a brief period of time in the early evening, there were no real delays-- at least for me. Obviously I didn't do OCI last year, but this seems like a good system. I'd rather do it online than copy massive amounts of paper.

I'm just wondering what the other 2Ls (and 3Ls who are having an OCI redux)thought.

Also, did anyone else get the feeling that all of these firms start to look alike after awhile (and thus your cover letters start looking alike, despite attempts to "personalize" them)? But they probably think all of our resumes look alike too. And us. And we probably do-- an endless parade of nearly identical suits.

And lest there be any misunderstandings, I love the paint scheme in Wolf.

11 comments:

cublawg said...

The new OCI system is somewhat better, but I feel bad for the employers having to print off all of that crap. That said, it's better than the tupperware party in Fleming last year.

As for uniformity, welcome to the practice of law. Seemingly the only way to distinguish yourself is by wearing a bow-tie, and even then you up the d-bag quotient, unless of course you're a certain Professor of Conlaw who sets the standard by which all other bow-tie wearing is measured.

All I can say about the color scheme is that the yellow makes me need to pee.

Scott Turner said...

Studies show that bright "warm" colors, such as yellow, orange, and red, make people angry. At least it won't effect law students, who are always completely even keeled. What's up with the gigantic parking lots flanking Wolf? There is more parking there now than at Mile High...

BlawBlawBlaw said...

No one under the age of 50 can wear a bow tie without looking strange and affected. And it has more to do with carriage than age, probably. That said, certain intellectuals and professors who've embraced their overwhelming geekiness early in life may get away with it, but I don't see a law student carrying the look with any degree of panache.

Oh, and Hakim? It's not as if they CAN'T AFFORD THE PAPER. If they can afford to pay a 1L 1800-2400/wk then they can afford a few reams of copy paper. (Although they should take it out of the worthless 1L law clerks' checks since technically those clerks are 2Ls now and they're the ones reaping the benefits of OCI. Hypothetically.)

cublawg said...

I realize that. It makes it no less of a PITA, however.

cublawg said...

...and on the bowtie front, I'll just say that you've never seen me in tails, my friend. ;-)

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Hakim, I'm talking about bow ties in daily life. Formal occasions don't count. Context!

notjustlaw said...

Unfrozen, I am still not convinced that those are parking lots flanking Wolf (I assume you are referring to the remains of the Kittridge fields). I remember a meeting where the parking people said the small lot to the east would be the only additional parking. What I think they are actually doing is laying down Smart-Turf or whatever you call that artifical grass made up of old tires to go with the new lights. Anybody know anything different?

notjustlaw said...

Okay, it is artifical turf. See http://www.coloradodaily.com/articles/2006/06/06/news/c_u_and_boulder/news2.txt

cublawg said...

Oddly enough, they don't talk about Wolf in an article about CU campus construction. They have quite the crack research team over there at the Colorado Daily. Emphasis on crack.

notjustlaw said...

The Silver and Gold Record had an article about the building on July 27th. http://www.uccs.edu/~ur/media/mediawatch/view_article.php?y=mediawatch_articles&article_id=17407.

Hey Hakim, you are in the know... When can we enter this new building?

cublawg said...

It will be open in accordance with the library summer hours, which are 8-8, I believe.