For a numer of years now, the administration, faculty, and student body have focused with almost singular intent on building Wolf. With that endpoint all but behind us, it's time to start thinking about the next steps; if you ask me, the new building counts as but one item in a longer list of needed improvements. I'd start looking at the following:
Career Services
With all due respect to Paricio & Co., the lack of Spring OCI last year was a glaring ommission. How can we possibly hope to increase the standing of the law school when post-graduate employment rates constitute such a significant factor in the school's rankings? And what are they doing about it?
Faculty and Administrative Attrition
In the past two years the school lost several high-profile voices to competing institutions, including Tony Bastone, Richard Delgado, and Kevin Reitz, among others. To make matters worse, the ranks of the emeritii stand poised to increase, with Hill going on partial retirement, and several other old-timers likewise approaching the exit. Meanwhile, all of the folks considered by the appointments committee last year, save Vic Fleischer, turned us down. The law school MUST address this problem before it gets any worse; hiring Spitz, Perry, Hart, Huntington, and Davidson are but small steps in a race against other law schools that CU Law seems to be losing with each passing year.
Finances
Why, pray tell, is a certain Dean continuing to draw a salary while his primary responsibilities have been shifted to other people, one of whom the Dean seems to have hired especially for the purpose of picking up the slack?
I hate to accentuate the negative. I love CU Law and I think it's a wonderful place. Moreover, I am grateful to attend such a fantastic institution, but I do think there's room for improvement. How about you?
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Moving from Tony Bastone to Patty Powell was a huge step up in my opinion. And Patty left because of her family (not for another job). I don't think Bastone's exit is indicative of anything that's wrong with the law school. Most of your point is valid, but that one example seems off . . . I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
The Lack of Spring OCI was absolutley ridiculous. There was no structured manner to help students with job searches post-Fall OCI, and I for one had to cash in a favor to find a job... I like Veronica and the others, but I was left with a bitter taste. This new on-line system better yield results quickly.
I'm not familiar with Bastone (and I liked Patty Powell as well) but Hakim's point is still valid that we lost him to a competing institution, and thus the impression was created that we couldn't hold onto people as an institution. Reitz was also a big loss.
Career services is basically worthless. Have any of you met any CU Law alumni through the office of career services (outside of mock interviews), or gone to a CU alumni event that was worthwhile. There was one in the spring in Denver that was so poorly organized that complaining was commonplace.
I am constantly hearing from people that they'd *like* to attend CU Law, but the employment statistics scare them away. Some have even chosen DU over CU for that reason. I think this is sort of silly because they're looking, for instance, at total number of graduates employed in Denver and DU fields such huge classes, but there you have it. But the lack of Spring OCI had to have been a problem for Paricio. I hope Fall OCI is better. I don't know how the list of employers compares to last year. I do know Caplan & Earnest isn't on it.
And I think you meant Huntington, not Calhoun. No offense to Calhoun. She's great. But she's not a new hire by any stretch.
I think Lobo may be onto something there. Regardless, I doubt that the school let him go because they couldn't give him the raise he demanded or something.
Also, Blaw, the list of employers we have now doesn't really mean much. Lots of employers have made the decision to participate in OCI over the summer, and some even decide after the OCI orientation. I think for some firms, figuring out whether they'll do interviews on campus isn't a top priority. So, don't worry- Caplan and Earnest may still come.
All that said, I agree with HS that the school's work is far from over. We're getting some great profs, but we need to keep the good ones we have. The new building is great, but there is a lot of work yet to be done.
Moop, point taken. Only thing is, we're doing OCI early this year. Interviews start the week of August 21. We had orientation in the spring. It's all online now. Whole different thing. I only noticed C&E's absence from the list because I'm too lazy to take the bus to Denver. :)
(But I will if I have to).
i'm a fan of the new hire at career services (wink wink)
i got my job through oci. through fall oci. and before i had it, career services did everything i asked of them to help me out. i might be the exception. but i found them to be as helpful as i asked them to be.
I also wanted to say that Paricio did set me up with an alumni. Really. I don't want to say more or I'll out myself. She's very committed to her job.
Alumnus. Sorry.
So LIT, what have you been up to lately? (I keed.)
law, getting advice from t-shirts is like talking about juice while you're drinking milk.
[b][url=http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com] car insurance rats [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://seoguide.ws] car insurance rats [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://nutritionguide.ws] car
insurance philadelphia [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://affiliaterevenueguide.ws] allstate car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://careeremploymentguide.com] car insurance rating [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://fitnessequipmentguide.net] car insurance cost [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://inetmarketingguide.ws] california car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://interiordecorguide.ws] general car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://landscapingguide.ws] free online car insurance quote [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://mortgageguide.ws] buy car insurance online [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://personalfinanceguide.ws] young driver car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://trafficbuildingguide.net] california car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://vacationrentalsguide.ws] car insurance uk [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://wealthbuildingguide.net] car insurance n [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://progressive-car-insurance.wealthbuildingguide.net] compare car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://compare-car-insurance.vacationrentalsguide.ws] cheap car insurance uk [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://cheapest-car-insurance.trafficbuildingguide.net] general car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://classic-car-insurance.personalfinanceguide.ws] teen car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://free-car-insurance-quote.mortgageguide.ws] cheap car insurance uk [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://cheap-car-insurance-quote.landscapingguide.ws] cheap car insurance for young driver [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://low-cost-car-insurance.interiordecorguide.ws] car insurance canada [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://car-insurance-quote.inetmarketingguide.ws] online auto insurance quote [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://car-insurance-rates.homeimprovementguide.ws] buy car insurance online [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://new-york-insurance.fitnessequipmentguide.net] antique car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://california-car-insurance.estateguide.ws] norwich union car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://car-insurance-rate.careeremploymentguide.com] low cost car insurance online [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://auto-insurance-company.affiliaterevenueguide.ws] general car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://online-car-insurance.acneguide.ws] usaa car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://auto-cheap-insurance.nutritionguide.ws] mercury car insurance [/url][/b]
[b][url=http://auto-insurance-quote.seoguide.ws] best car insurance rate [/url][/b]
http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com
Random Keyword: :)
[b]progressive car insurance quote[/b]
Post a Comment