Sunday, April 02, 2006

US News & World Report Rankings (for those who care)

If you haven't seen it, go here:


2007 U.S. NEWS RANKINGS OF LAW SCHOOLS

If you don't want to go there, what you need to know is we are #43. This is a slight improvement over last year. However, DU gained something like 22 places, which basically put them back to where they were the year before last.

9 comments:

cublawg said...

There's something wrong with CU-Law or US News when we're tied with American, SMU, Tulane, Alabama–Tuscaloosa, Arizona, and Hastings.

Uh...Tulane? Weren't they closed for the better part of the school year?!!!

Ten bucks says Trujillo chalks it up to a sympathy vote.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I think, but I'm not sure, that the stats used are not from this past year. If anyone can confirm? I'm too lazy to look it up. But I do wonder, if that's the case, how they'll deal with Tulane when it's time to reflect upon this year's stats. But maybe a law school doesn't actually need to be *open* to be ranked. If they look at admits' stats, graduates' employment rates, library space, faculty, etc. then does it really matter if a school is closed for the better part of a year? I dunno. Not a statistician.

J-Po said...

A friend of mine got hold of the hard copy of U.S. News & confirmed that the rankings of the New Orleans schools were based in part on their 2004 data due to the effects of the hurricane. Though self-interested voices will surely cry out, "that's not fair," the decision makes sense to me. Those schools are probably having enough trouble recruiting students this year without the additional indignity of being tooled in the rankings. Hopefully by this time next year, such steps will no longer be necessary.

Buffs said...

I think the stats they use are from one year back. So this year's 1Ls don't count; they're using the 2Ls' numbers. That's what I thought from a few years ago. And as for Tulane, I hear they have a record number of apps for the undergrad this year. So maybe the law school is doing well to. But UA, SMU, Tulane--I'd say we're in good company.

Just wait for the signs at DIA: "DU Law ranked in the top 100, with other prestigous law schools like Yale and Harvard."

Lindsay said...

Eh, whatever. I'm just glad that we're moving up again. This whole thing is headed in the right direction.
I do enjoy how every year we seem to be tied with more schools. Next year the top 50 might *all* be first!

notjustlaw said...

I chalk it up to East-coast bias. That is my answer to all rankings!

J-Po said...

"Just wait for the signs at DIA: 'DU Law ranked in the top 100, with other prestigous law schools like Yale and Harvard.'"

If we had money, I'm sure we'd pull crap like that too.

Jaded said...

funny, my diploma doesn't look any shinier.

cublawg said...

Try some lemon pledge.