
I realize I haven't posted anything for a while. Every day, on my way to work, I think "I should post something during my bored/down time (read: all day long) to the CU Blawg. But what could I say?" I realize that I am done with law school, and therefore have nothing positive to contribute with respect to the new ranking system...or the new building...or the perennial "Where are my grades?" questions. But then I realized I could always pilfer material to discuss from my boyfriend, currently doing his LLM at George Washington University (or what I like to call "Gank money from the poor foreigners by making them pay for one year of regular law school"). PC (the bf) is doing a mock trial competition. Voluntarily, bless his heart. He told me the name of the case and what it's about generally.
My question is why do teachers or coordinators of these competitions feel compelled to use cartoon names for their parties? "State v. Homer Simpson" or "People v. Alvin Chipmunk". I thought the point of these exercises was to feel like you had a real client and to feel the pressures of real trial work. This sort of thing is instantly nullified when you have to get up and say "Ladies and gentleman of the jury, my client Homer Simpson..." I for one cannot suspend my disbelief enough to not feel as though I were participating in some ridiculous farce, forced upon me like a circus monkey.
Back in high school this sort of thing was tolerated, I guess, to relate to students who a) usually don't care and b) think their teachers are lame. But we're in law school. Unless "Bob Smith" is not allowed by competition rules, let us have some shred of dignity. We've already lost so much of it anyway.
1 comment:
Does the fact that the case uses Homer Simpson as the defendant give the mock-lawyer the right to act like Lionel Hutz? That man is my role model as a lawyer.
"Mr. Hutz, this verdict is written on a cocktail napkin...and it still says guilty!"
Post a Comment