Thursday, January 12, 2006

Grade Delay Rumors

First, Wesson's mom passed away over the holiday break, and that's why her Evidence grades aren't posted yet. Second, 3rd-degree hearsay suggests that the median in Hill's Corporations class is so low that the administration took him to arbitration in an attempt to enforce the curve. Third, for anyone else out there, feel free to post or read other tidbits in the comments.

Updated:
Wesson's evidence grades are in.

19 comments:

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Also waiting on Waggoner's CivPro. But it was the last test and we had a big section.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

He's a great guy, and if he's a little late with grades I'm OK with that.

Buffs said...

campos' legislation came out today. i see the my shorter, lighter paper flew further down the stairs than most. i wish he'd adopt the spread the papers on the floor and drop a knife-method.

legally intoxicated said...

still no Ps for my 2 P classes. really, how hard can this be?

i have a sneaking my last grade is missing because i took a class that had more gunners than a major military deployment. and something tells me there's a war on over how high prof can set the curve. lord knows this argument won't be coming out in my favor.

Michael A. Smeenk, Esq. said...

What's the deal with the potential for higher curves in some classes? Bender promised us a curve above the typical 84 in our Ethics class, yet that's apparently what it ended up being. Are there guidelines for that sort of thing? Sounds like the Hill Corporations argument, just the other way around

Coffinberry said...

Yup, there's guidelines on exactly this. The 'rule of the school' is median=84, give or take one point only, and apparently it is enforced.

Coffinberry said...

Waggoner's Civ Pro grades have posted...

notjustlaw said...

Just a general comment. I understand the reasoning behind the curve and I generally enjoy the benefits. However, I think it is good to see that if a professor feels the quailty of work was exception. And the other way around. I'm not disparaging anyone who took Corps with Hill and I am positive that they will feel there is major injustice and have a case, (lord knows I don't plan on taking Hill for anything). YET, in the abstract, if Hill truly believes the work was below his seemingly high standard, he should be able to set the curve low.

Coffinberry said...

Waggoner's CivPro was late because he had to throw out one of the questions (half the class answered it as if it were a different question).

BlawBlawBlaw said...

How long does it take for the whole ranking/GPA thing to happen?

Coffinberry said...

Last rumor I heard, the 1L's won't be ranked this semester, and there'll be a town-hall meeting in the next week or so to 'splain the reasoning.

notjustlaw said...

Blaw, for the record, it took till February (or almost) last year for the 1Ls.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

That happened to me this a.m. Underneath your log-on on the main page there's a reset option. Do that. You'll then probably have to re-select your law school grade channel. But it worked for me.

cublawg said...

EC: I wonder if others are welcome at the ranking meeting. I would be highly amused if the administration started making arguments about a flawed distribution curve, when much could be said about the current system. Please share the details if anyone ends up attending.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what *is* wrong with the current system? I have no opinion one way or another because it's the only system I've known. I'm just wondering what the arguments against our current grading/ranking structure are. I do realize, however, that there seem to be far fewer 'A' grades given at CU than at other schools. By the same token, far fewer 'D' grades and below. Maybe this should be its own blawg entry, but I'm very curious.

cadoner said...

on the topic of grades, is a C- a passing grade?

cause it wasn't at my undergrad.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I *think* a 72 is passing. Anything below that isn't.

On another note, I did hear someone else say absolutely we are not going to be ranked. 1Ls I mean.
However, we have yet to hear anything officially.

notjustlaw said...

Thanks Blaw. If true, then the school needs to offer the whole school, not just the 1L class an explanation. Sure the information will get out after the 1L town meeting, but this is such a strange turn of events. I would love to do OCI now without any rankings.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Like I said, I heard this from a student, not an administrator, so I have no idea if it's true or not.