Saturday, December 17, 2005

Grades

When do grades normally come out? Do they sort of trickle in? And who among the 1L profs is the speediest grade-wise? (I have a bet riding on this).

14 comments:

cublawg said...

I agree with CL. Though Mueller is pretty zippy as well.

Jaded said...

we got eid's grades in march. yes, march.

dont expect any until after the first of the year, at the absolute earliest.

notjustlaw said...

SCHLAG is the slowest by far, but last year's debacle may have been an abriation.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

March??? There oughta be a law...

Buffs said...

exactly one week after you give up on them ever coming out.

cublawg said...

Grades tend to be late when there's an unexpected problem with the curve, or with a particular student, that requires rectifying. Schlag's grades came out late last year for that reason, and that could explain Eid's as well.

Coffinberry said...

Miscellaneous Rule 3:

Time limits on examination grading. Each faculty member, in the absence of unusual and extenuating circumstances reported to and confirmed by the Dean, is responsible for grading at a rate of seven complete individual examination papers per day on a five working day per week basis, meaning 35 complete papers per week.3

The deadline for grades to be reported to the Dean's Office shall be five calendar days before classes resume for the next semester. The administrative procedure to be followed by the Dean is as follows:4

A. Within the week before classes resume the Dean will contact each faculty member whose grades have not yet been reported to obtain an estimated completion date and to call attention to any particular problems that may be presented by delay.

B. In the absence of extenuating circumstances, such as illness, abnormally large classes, the necessary performance of other law school duties or some alteration of the vacation schedule, any faculty member failing to meet the deadline will have a not e placed in his or her personnel file, indicating both the fact and the length of the delay. This information will be taken into account in the Dean's evaluation of teaching performance for that year by the member in question.

C. Where it appears that delay will present a specific problem for any student or students, the Dean will, within the week preceding the resumption of classes, request that this exam be graded separately. To preserve anonymity the Dean will give the teacher in question the exam number of the student rather than the name. Recognizing that many faculty members are reluctant to grade separately in this fashion, the Dean will therefore ask only for pass-fail determination at that point, unless the actual grade is crucial to the issue presented. Failure to comply with such requests will also be noted in the member's personnel file.

Faculty members who are late in turning in grades will be fined $25.00 per day, which amount shall be deducted from such faculty member's faculty development account.5

Coffinberry said...

I suspect that section(B) will hose us... all of us are in 'abnormally large' classes.

And at least one of the legal writing professors is seriously ill.

BlawBlawBlaw said...

Wow. Good find, Coffinberry. I wonder if the profs resent the overbearing tone of those rules.

notjustlaw said...

You'll have to reveal more details about the bet Blaw...i'm curious to see who you bet on as the fastest!

BlawBlawBlaw said...

I thought perhaps Davidson would win the award for speed, but I could be wrong.

Coffinberry said...

If I were a betting person (which I'm not, of course) I'd put my money on Peppet: he was first last year, and he had the first final (can't believe it was three weeks ago tomorrow, already).

notjustlaw said...

For me so far it is Weiser...before Christmas!!

Coffinberry said...

Whoa! I hope it was good news!