I overheard (isn't eavesdropping illegal?) today that apparently the dean et al have decided that the 1Ls will not be ranked following the fall semester. Apparently it is in response to the strange split of scheduling that resulted in the two halves of the 1L class leading entirely separate lives with no point of continuity among them whatsoever.
Shoot, we can't even get to know their names, because the facebook hasn't come out YET.
It is like having two completely different law schools.
Anyway, there's apparently increasingly vocal rumbling among the students who don't think much of the non-ranking idea.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
As I've said before, the decision-making authority on this issue lies ultimately with the faculty, and any effort to include the student body serves only to obscure the fact that professors and/or the deans will eventually resolve the issue by fiat. To think otherwise is to tune in, turn on, and drop out.
Malcontent, I suspect the difference is that you had/have classes with others who have had classes with the folks you've not had classes with; in the class of '08, Nobody in one half of the class has had classes with Anybody in the other half. The psychological and social division is complete.
I think the issue might be different if it weren't for the fact that the 'big' (80+ member)class has all open book exams, but various of the 'little' classes do not.
I think one thing you can use to bolster Mal's argument is that the rankings are in part influenced by the individual professor, maybe not the other students you know. Those who have taken Hill are impacted by his lower curve, and those who do not take a class with him benefit in the rankings. I am not worried about the lack of classes with other members of my class, but I am concerned with the impact of individual grading policies.
never happen. they'll go to some modified system, if anything, but I odn't see it happening in the next five years. they have enough problems with the new building opening up.
Post a Comment