Monday, October 03, 2005
White House Counsel Harriet Miers...
...is the choice to succeed Sandra Day O'Connor. From the President's remarks, it looks like a long and drawn out political battle (I'll be interested to see how Santorum and Brownback handle her). At least he nominated a woman to the spot. I'll withhold other judgment until later. Comments?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
yeah, two. i'm not sure whether to be amused or offended by the kind of women who rise to power in this administration. (i.e. like condi, miers is another childless, unmarried, intensely smart). does bush have a god complex, i.e. his girls are married to the white house much as nuns are married to the church? and what does this mean for the abortion issue?
second: how bout the following quotes W used to describe miers:
1. ''a pit bull in Size 6 shoes.''
2. ''When it comes to cross-examination, she can fillet better than Mrs. Paul.''
Former CU Law prof Dale Oesterle has an interesting comment on the subject.
Why? She is a long time power broker in Texas and in the national ABA. She is an accomplished, nationally known lawyer...and 36 justices have gone in without judicial experience, including Rehnquist...Why is this so indefensible?
I'm not supporting or attacking her yet, but to answer your questions: She has apparantly been very influential within the national bar and the texas bar, has overseen one of the largest Texas firms, was elected to be president when this firm and another merged. She has then served as a influnetial figure in the administraiton, vetting judicial canidates for a few years, working with the members of Congress. If that is not a power broker, I don't know what is. Being a power broker would allow her to be a consensus builder on the court, working between disparate factions of the court.
Finally, why is it so important that she have judicial experience? Again, Rehnquist had no experience, the Whizzer didn't either...
And how do you know SMU had a worse stature then CU in 1970? I'm actually exicted to have someone not from Harvard or Yale on the Court!
One last thing...why is having a paper trail even important when she can simply say anything she wrote was for a client, or refuse to answer based on the Ginsburg rule? Worked well for Ginsburg and Roberts.
TTT's? HMMM okay...As CU students prove the tier or quality of the school means nothing, it was what you do with your education that matters. She seems to have done allright on her own.
I'll leave it to the ABA and the other actually qualified bodies to say what her legal credentials are. But you aren't head of the Texas Bar, or the president of large influential firms becuase of W are you? (If so please correct me...) She seems pretty strong so far.
And boy did that legal trail for Roberts really reveal what his philosophies are! Do you know his opinion on Roe v. Wade? How about Affirmative Action? We think he is going to follow the settled law, but that could be lip service! If you do, call the democratic leadership in the Senate, cause I don't think they know!
Again, what is wrong with lack of experience when it has been fine for 36 justices including the Whizzer and the late Chief? Is it cause she is a woman? Is it because she is a Bushie?
Sorry to be so antagonistic...I really am...I'm not really like this.
I apologize Colorado and to the rest...I got a caught up in a little partisan rancor and I'm the one secretly hoping for a Bush/Republican meltdown to cleanse the party! Sorry
Why is that so surprising as to privacy...Griswold and Lawrence (the case that overruled Bowers) are both widely accepted as the settled law of the land, even by most conservatives. Roe is under attack from the right because it took what was a state issue and kicked the states out, without the court actually expressing a fundamnetal right to abortion as seen in Casey. That is the question, not privacy; whether it should be a state issue and what remains of Roe after Casey. Robert's never answered those questions, which will come up November 30 (coincidently right after when Bush wants Miers in place). I'm not worried about privacy; Griswold and Lawrence pretty much settled the question. It is the state/federal issue and the distancing through Casey away from strict scrutiny that has me worried.
Sorry i can't tonight...NJL wife is sick of me posting and when she says stop, I need to listen...I don't think you are going to listen to what I say anyway about what she did to clean up stagnant cesspool that was the Texas Lottery Commission...
for the sake of levity...
(and because he raises an interesting point, that HEW is just taking one for the team)
http://wingsandvodka.blogs.com/
That was Funny! Very good...Okay okay, no more posting tonight I swear!
Okay, one more! I just thought Legally would like this considering her first post...Apparantly, Miers is a member of a Church that teaches abstinance and Craig Silverman on KHOW argued she may have been celibate her whole life! Now that may be a woman married to the White House like a nun!
Also adding to the levity is this:
Harriet Miers' blog
Post a Comment