Uh...does this seem absolutely crazy to anyone else?
John Travolta and Kelly Preston have apparently advised Katie Holmes on how to have her baby.The couple, who like Holmes' fiance Tom Cruise are members of the 'cult' church of Scientology, have suggested that the Dawson's Creek actress have a 'silent birth', meaning that children should be delivered in an atmosphere of total quiet, without any groans, screams, or sounds of pain from the mother, or even the audible exchange of information among hospital personnel.
Theoretically, this method should ensure that the baby can adapt to its surroundings without a fuss. In his book Preventive Dianetics, Hubbard elaborates on the goal of this practice: Apparently pretending to all concerned that giving birth is not only painless, but downright relaxing, will "save both the sanity of the mother and the child and safeguard the home to which they will go." Furthermore, L. Ron goes on to admonish, "the maintaining of silence does not mean a volley of 'sh's,' for those make stammerers." After a delivery that's "as calm and no-talk as possible," the baby should "be wrapped somewhat tightly in a warm blanket, very soft, and then left alone for a day or so."
Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Having been there, done that, I can say that making a nice orgasmal groan and scream really helps. Whether such noises negatively affected my children, who knows...
(I do feel very hesitant to label a religious belief a 'cult,' though, just because it has unusual beliefs...)
I'll label it a cult when you have to pay in order to advance in your knowledge (the upper levels of a religion should be open to those who wish to study it, not those who can afford to pay for it!!
Anyhow, NJL Wife saw this same thing and was flabbergasted. Therefore, I am safe to assume there will be no "silent birth" when Lil' NJL arrives!
I'm sorry "left alone for a day or so"? Am I reading that correctly? Wow. After Catholic marriage prep I felt like my church taught some nutty stuff about kids (and they do) but that's right up there. Why not ditch the kid for a week or so?
Leaving alone for a day, if that means completly ignoring its cries and needs for a day (right after birth)...that seems like child abuse! I hope Katie Holmes parents push for an arrest warrant on Cruise if that happens!
Post a Comment