I finally got around to looking at that rankings study Dean Trujillo sent us. Most of it was numbers galore (what's the difference between a 2.8 and a 3.1, when 3 means "Indifferent"). I found this interesting:
"For the 34 organizations who hire frequently from CU, 39% of their new hires are CU graduates. For the 31 organizations who hire frequently from DU, 38% of their new hires have law degrees from DU. Many organizations listed both CU and DU as being schools from which they hire most frequently, and of those 30 organizations, 39% of their hires come from CU and 37% from DU."
So adjusting for class size, we seem to be doing well.
Also far more interesting than the actual survey results were the comments reviewers left. I'd check it out--it's one of the appendices.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm skeptical of basing any decisions of consequence on the response of only 34 firms. The comments seem to say -- and this should be common sense -- that a place like CU needs a definitive rank system for at least the top portion of the class (25%? 33%? 50%?) so that firms can sort through who's where.
CU just isn't the type of school where employers fall all over themselves to hire students -- why make it harder with some unranked system w/ "distinction," or whatever the options are. I can't see any difference between listing a student as 16/160 or 10th percentile.
I think someone from one of the Medium Firms makes a good point:
"I think you are going through a lot of brain damage for not much of a reason."
If you're interested in reading another rankings/placement survey, check this out:
http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/ciolli.final.pdf
It raises some good points & comments about the issues, and has a much larger sample size to pull info from
Agreed. As the open form answers suggest, those who recruit from that top tier will continue to look at the top 20%, and those that don't won't.
Here's a diff't question, though: based on the document properties, it looks like they've had this thing since April, and that Trujillo was the last person to edit it. Why has he been sitting on it so long?
Nice question Hakim...considering we have been debating the ranking system for so long, why has this information, which finally gives a real employer view (unlike our educated guesses), been sat on? I'm really interested in this question.
Sadly, you can't post Word docs in individual posts or comments.
Post a Comment