Can you tell Esquire CB and myself what we can expect from any of our profs?
Property: Nestor Davidson
Torts: Calhoun (Emily, I think, even though it says CJ on the schedule)
Contracts: Peppet
Legal Writing: Unknown
Civil Procedure: Waggoner
Thanks!
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
That unknown guy is such a jerk..watch out for him! :)
People either love or hate taking Calhoun. I think the same could be said for Torts in general, which may explain the split. She loves policy.
I didn't have the others last year. Sorry.
i haven't had any of those profs. let us know when you find out who you have for legal writing. until then, i am of no help to you
I had Peppet for Professional Responsibility, a course he seems to have a special penchant for because of his involvement in alternative dispute resolution, and thus fixing the flaws in the legal system. Contracts is somewhat of a different beast so I couldn't speak to that. He doesn't test in multiple choice like P. Lo did, which might be good or bad, depending on your abilities (bad for me, btw). I do have to wonder, however, whether you'll notice any of the Peppet groupies. I think you'll know what I mean when you take him. Same with Campos. I never had any of the others, sorry.
Had Peppet for contracts. He grades tight around the median, so basically you're predetermined to get an 83-86. Which can be a good thing (you can focus on other classes), or a bad thing. Haven't had Davidson, but those who had him last year weren't kind on the FCQs (http://www.colorado.edu/pba/fcq/by_coll/lw/laws.html). If the other section has Mueller, Eid, Campos, and Collins, I'd recommend trying to jump ship.
Peppet is tough, he expects alot out of you, but he kept me entertained throughout the year even though the class was at 8:30
p.lo isn't teaching contracts this year!! sacrilege!
Schlag loves the sound of his own voice and doesn't teach the material very well, whereas people either love or hate Calhoun.(Calhoun's new tutor is a very smart guy, though, so pay close attention) You will either love or tolerate Mueller, while Waggoner is universally maligned. Peppet is fantastic, but assigns a lot of reading. (tip: pay attention to his slides, it gives you a sense of how to outline; also, brilliant tutor) Hill rocks the body electric once you figure out that his commentary is for shock value, while everyone who has Campos will be f-ed for any property questions on the bar exam.
Some are better than others, but for the most part they run a tutoring session every two weeks in which they review their outlines to help you make sense of the material, and may do hypos. Peppet's last tutor actually did a mock exam last year which helped a lot. I expect his new helper to do the same.
As for Calhoun's new tutor, I have no idea what he'll do. But he's very engaging--you won't be bored.
what are these tutors you speak of? were they around when i was there? i remember two TAs for legal writing but those are the only ones i knew of. though i do remember some members of our class being tutors....i guess i just didn't know about them when i could use them. if only i had known...
Yeah, right Jaded, like not having a tutor really disadvantaged you :) P. Lo = Professor Loewenstein
I only know secondhand, but apparently Waggoner's got some wierd speech patterns and he's boring as heck.
A typical Waggoner comment: "Now, I don't know if this would work, but this is what I'd try... wouldn't that be neat?"
This coming from a tenured prof with no practical experince in the law. So what "might work" is based on whatever whims he has at the moment, though he honestly isn't sure what would fly in the real world and what wouldn't. You just have to hope that your "what-ifs" in your test answers match the "what-ifs" he came up with in his answer key.
Good luck with that
You generally need to have some medical justification. I tried that in my first week of Hill's class, and it went nowhere. In retrospect, I'm glad I stayed.
If the other section is Schmitz, Mack, Mueller, Schlag, and Hill, it's probably a draw. Mueller is legendary, Schmitz is very likeable, and everyone fears Hill and the Cs he dishes out like candy.
What happened to Collins for Property?
Schlag became a worse professor as the year went on, essentially when he went off on theories and policy. After a few weeks let us know about Mack. Last year was her first year and it didn't start well. I eventually learned alot from her, but it came more from individual meetings, not class.
Good luck changing sections, there is nothing harder to achieve!
Who knows? Try the blawg excuse. You'd be surprised how entrenched CU Law is in the Blawg. Apparently a lot of people read it...some of us even get into trouble for it *cough cough*
Post a Comment