Oh Wise and Experienced Ones...
From the "Rules of the Law School:
§3-3-8 Sectioning
Students in first-year courses will be assigned to sections on the basis of their predictive index scores from a list of scores and names arranged in numerical order from the highest to the lowest.
What does the above mean?
Does it mean that the sections are formed of persons having like/close-to-like index scores, or does it mean a list is made and like games in elementary school PE (say, there are 5 sections) they count off 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... and all the 1s are in one section, all the 2s are in the next section, etc.?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I have no idea what the Rule means, or how they determine sections, for that matter. It doesn't seem like there is a really "smart" or "dumb" section. I thought it we were all just randomly thrown into groups. Maybe I was in with the dumbies and too stupid to have realized it...
HS?
It's been explained to me that there's a formula used to generate a bell curve in each section. This would seem to suggest that everyone, from smart to not as smart, is distributed across the different groups according to a variety of numeric factors. But I think you'd have to ask Cindy to get a more exact answer.
Oh dear...
Shall we take bets on whether that's the real Campos? One would hope that he's got better things to do than to lurk around here making snide comments about Professor Hill...
Of course, we all know better, don't we?
roflmao If that's the rea Prof. Campos, you guys are too lucky - really.
On the other hand, if it's a student... well, the incoming 1L are still lucky to hang around with this cool crowd.
Damn. I'll have to enroll as a virtual CU student. Think anyone's gonna notice?
I would guess that some of the following are included:
Age
Gender
Pre-Enrollment Income
GPA weighting factor for undergraduate institution (probably derived from the LSAC weighting factor)
Parents' level of education
Race
# of children
Undergraduate major
SAT/ACT
State/Region
...but that's all I can think of right now.
I'm not sure that pre-enrollment income can be any indicator of anything. It doesn't indicate anything about me, because current financial status tells nothing about my past or experience or what I might contribute in terms of viewpoint. But, then again, I am just odd, on every scale.
And why would number of children matter to anyone?
The fact that CU has someone creating complex algorithms or whatever to create a "perfect" mix is absolutely insane. You know, you could achieve virtually identical results by randomly assigning people--like A-M in one section, N-Z in the next.
I bet the same person who replaces everyone's name tags upstairs by moving every single 1L to the 2L board--a monumental, week-long task that could be alleviated by just moving the damn 1L, 2L, and 3L signs every year--does this.
I doubt that CU created the calculation themselves. Most educaitonal software is consultant-built or off the shelf.
first, you can't just move the signs--the enrollment of the class changes every year. people add and people drop between years.
second, our section was a pretty diverse blend, except it was highly female heavy. that's how i met NH so i can't really bash the system. it worked for me. one of our group left to go to harvard after the first year and another dropped out after the first semester. so you just never can tell.
You can sit by me, Shell. Right beside my friend, Harvey. Have you met Harvey? He's a six-foot-tall rabbit. Famous, too.
Post a Comment