Sunday, July 31, 2005

Class of '08

An email went out on Friday, telling us soon-to-be-1Ls stuff we need to know. Surprisingly, the sender didn't use bcc, so the addresses of all the recipients are included in the header.

It's an interesting list. The addresses are obviously alphabetized by the individual's last name (even if the last name isn't in the address). I see that my address is among the shortest (I've used the same one since 1996). Lots of folks use yahoo or hotmail, probably to prevent spamming. And there's a lot of first name/lastname combos used for addresses. At least one other person uses the same nickname for the given name that I do, which means we'll always be having to clarify which of us is meant in conversation, if we're in the same section. There's one person who has a last name that is interesting to me genealogically, but I don't think it will come up in conversation (or in other words, I may know more about his ancestors than he does, but I won't bore him to death with it over soda and pretzels). There are a lot of school addresses, too: besides Colorado, I notice Princeton, TCU (?), DU, Cornell, Harvard, Emory, Texas, Valencia, Whitman, Wisconsin, UNC, and Washington. And at least one military address.

So it must all be for real, and in 15 days, we'll meet face-to-face.

5 comments:

naechstehaltestelle said...

TCU = Texas Christian University. A friend of mine got many a DUI while attending. Also, Chris Klein of American Pie fame was a student there.

shell said...

Coffinberry - you never told the story about Esq. Coffinberry himself. What's interesting about him?

Coffinberry said...

Shell, see second post on my blog, way back in April... :-)

shell said...

Coffinberry: I just read it. That's so cool (pardon my very 90's expression.)

I could only trace my geneology back 4 generations. :( Unfortunately my last name is very common and it's difficult to trace.

Coffinberry said...

You have NO idea how tempting it is to say: "really? Let me see if I can help..." Usually, if I can get a handle on pre-1930 stuff, I can get the ball rolling on finding people. But that would be such a Major hijack of the thread topic, so I won't say it. lol

I hear you on the common name... I've got a line stuck on "Miller", so I know what you mean... but that one is 6 generations back or so. I tend to get lost when they cross the water, myself.

Anyway, "Count" Coffinberry is my(let me count... um...) 4th Great-Grand-Uncle.