Monday, June 20, 2005

New Alcohol Policy


Despotic Deans?
Originally uploaded by Bolder Law.
Word on the street is that there’s been a change in the policy on alcohol-related events for next year at the Law School. Apparently, the administration was displeased with the amount of alcohol involved in the Talent Show, wants to spearhead the movement in reducing the “drinking culture” at CU-Boulder, and feels that such a measure will help curb the alcoholic tendencies of lawyers in general. The number of FACs and other after-hours-events held at school will be significantly reduced.

I have my own opinions, but wanted to hear if anyone felt like this is a good or bad idea.

10 comments:

cublawg said...

It's bad. Here's the reasons:

- FACs build community
- People will bring their own booze to the talent show
- People will get drunk before the talent show, drive to the talent show, and get into accidents
- We're all over 21 when we enroll, with one notable exception I know of in the class of '07.

...it's all the same arguments that people put forth when their college/university cancels booze at tailgates.

cublawg said...

...moreover, and this is what really burns my ta-tas, university administrators have a nasty habit of changing alcohol policies during summer terms, when they think noone is watching them. If their arguments were that solid, they'd have the stones not to bury a controversial policy shift in the summer months. It's sheer cowardice.

Coffinberry said...

I've wrestled greatly with just exactly 'what' to comment... or even if I 'should' comment.

I'm not so sure that a 'rule' change is a good thing in and of itself; one would think that adults would and should be able to police their own behavior, and exercise self-control, enjoying alcohol in moderation, in appropriate times and places, including after-school and FAC get-togethers. I would be greatly concerned if this relatively sudden shift in expectation were to lead to animosity and division among the student body. That would be the greater betrayal of the CU spirit.

On the other hand - for example - LI has in the past mentioned the challenge that comes with being a by-choice non-drinker (for whatever reasons) trying to fit into the social life/collegiality/networking scene at CU Law. This is a concern I have, too, and it was something made pointedly apparent at admitted students day. It seems especially challenging to be part of the community-building when what seems to be going on is mainly about the sharing of alcohol.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

I totally agree with all the above. HS hit the nail right on the head with the comment about this all happening over the summer. I cannot fathom how we can be expected to go out and be "professionals" in 1, 2, or 3 years when they treat us like little kids. Since when did law school = babysitting?

I sympathize with Coffinberry and her concern for feeling ostracized b/c she doesn't drink. However, I, again, think HS is correct in reasoning that such events bring people together, and I have seen numerous people at such events who aren't there for the booze. In my mind, there are several "things" people do to socialize: eat, drink coffee, drink alcohol, play sports and watch entertainment/amusement events. Of course there are others, but these are the biggies. Except for sports and alcohol, these just aren't possible or affordable for the Law School to incorporate in creating a sense of community.

Coffinberry said...

I would think that, to a certain extent, a sudden change in rules about alcohol could be perceived as a breach of promise* by incoming students. (*Using the term generically, as opposed to legally, because I don't know nothin' legal yet.) I also think that a change of attitude toward alcohol can be accomplished without heavy handed tactics, such as has been suggested will occur.

Disclaimer: My dad was killed by a drunk driver. Responsible drinking is ok... overdoing it (and doing stupid stuff like driving when sauced) is not. And not everyone who drinks does foolish things. But the foolish things get noticed.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

You can add "toking the reefer" to my list of social events in Boulder (see link below, ranking Boulder as #2 in the country in consumption of marijuana). Again, this is unlikely to be supported by the administration. I would, however, pay big $$ to see Hill, Campos, Collins and Mueller sitting around a bong in the Pit.....

http://coloradodaily.com/articles/2005/06/20/news/news03.txt

Jaded said...

i have never consumed alcohol on law school premises. i have never consumed alcohol at a law school function. in fact, i have only consumed alcohol in the presence of one other law student and he was at my house. i never felt pressured to drink at the FACs. it's just something that will provide a reason for people to hang out, even if they don't drink. i think FACs are integral to the law school experience--meeting people is important. but my opinion might not be the best because i'm somewhat antisocial so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Ryan Kalamaya said...

This is the link to the new rule:

http://www.colorado.edu/law/faculty/policies.htm

Click "alcohol policy."

Buffs said...

The policy is written in the stupidest font. I can't believe they can't even make a stupid memo look professional. Reminds me of the ranking comparison the dean's office did in word, and it looked like a middle school project.

Coffinberry said...

Having read the rules, I suppose it will all boil down to just "what is a special event," and whether the student groups hosting a "Special Event" can effectively persuade the dean/dean designee that the event is special enough. Or in other words, a totally subjective decision. There may or may not be an effectual change. Or there may be a change for a little while, and then back to business as usual. Or there may be no events certified as "special."

We shall see.