Sunday, May 01, 2005

Boulder Buzz 'Bout Bizz

Anonymous 3L and


Buffs recently wrote about businesses leaving Boulder. As a Boulder County native, I'd have to qualify the mentality of anti-business. I think Boulderites are inherently anti-chain/superstores; they'll go out of their way to buy more expensive goods from an independent, locally owned business. McGukins and the Boulder Bookstore are prime examples. Yes, there's Target and Whole Foods, but I'd say those are exceptions to the rule. People will get up in arms over the Penny Lane cafe shutting down, but no one cares that the Gap shut its Pearl St. doors last week.

Obviously, this leads to clashes over what to do about the flailing Hill, 29th St, and other developments. My hometown, Longmont, has decided to go in the completely opposite direction as Boulder. A strip mall developer's wet dream, Longmont has decided to forsake "smart growth" in favor of Dennys, Round Robin, Texas Roadhouse, and the Outback Steakhouse. Boulder's weird, for sure, but I'd take the high prices, inconvenience, and snobby people any day.

2 comments:

Ryan Kalamaya said...

Although I hestitate in even admitting this, I worked at that Gap store for a winter break during college several years back. The manager told me the store was not doing well at all. As I said, however, that was several years ago and I have no idea why they actually closed it.

Coffinberry said...

Longmont's just downright got a weird mayor - Mayor Pirnack doesn't seem to be able to say no to anything having to do with growth. I'm not sure what brand of laissez-faire she's practicing, but the outcome is sure friendly to the builders, realtors, and restauranteurs.